Wednesday, November 5, 2008

You've got to be kidding me

Okay...some radio stations across the country started playing Christmas music before Halloween. Stores are already stocked and advertising for Christmas (I sorta get this, because of the economy, but I don't have to like it). The local TV station is giving away gas cards and have holiday, ie. candy canes, in the promo. Why couldn't that be Thanksgiving at least?

But something I just saw on TV sent me over the edge. A used car company (you know the type...no credit....no problem...how the economy got this way in the first place by "us" living beyond our means kind of company) is ALREADY, in November, advertising to come in to buy a car and the will calculate your projected TAX RETURN (due April 15, 2009) to use toward the down payment. So you can buy a car you can't afford with money you don't have and aren't going to get (if they even calculate it correctly before the end of the tax year with no updated tax software) until at least February 2009. And we wonder how we got in this economic mess.

Glad I got that off my chest. Off to bible study and some attitude realignment.

6 comments:

Robyn said...

You didn't mention 2 un-named women purchasing their own Christmas presents way early... lol!

Carrie said...

That's different. Purchasing gifts early is a practical way to save money and get the materialistic stuff out of the way so we can focus on the reason for the season. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Or...we can start playing Christmas music tomorrow when our gifts arrive.

Robyn said...

I have been singing "Merry christmas to me" all day. I got a message from UPS today, my present is in Texas!

Carrie said...

Mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but UPS hasn't updated the tracking in 2 days.

Costco didn't send the confirmation until 2 days after you got yours, either. I guess the truth is out....I'm a little slow. :)

Robyn said...

Did the "big gift" arrive?

Kevin said...

Yikes. That is pretty scary and to think I was just complaining about the Christmas music.