Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thoughts on my first half century


Since I turned 49 on 09/09/09 I've been looking 50 straight in the face. It's hard to ignore such a milestone and I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it. First and foremost, I'm grateful to be here to celebrate this day. It sure beats the alternative.

I am blessed beyond measure. I have a wonderful family, both the one I grew up in and the one I have created. I have an amazing church home where I have grown in my personal relationship with Jesus Christ through various ministries. Through my church I have developed amazing friendships, some close and some not as close, but I know I could count on each and every one of them in times of trouble or need.

Am I where I once thought I would be at this age? Absolutely not!! I really believe God does laugh as we make our plans. But I am so grateful that He knows what is best and His spirit has led me to follow His will.

So, at this late hour as I watch a tractor beam movie alone in the dark I choose to start my 50th birthday by counting my blessings. I'm sure this will not be a comprehensive list, and I may add to it later just for me, but these things are on my heart at this moment:
  • Salvation in Jesus Christ. No matter what I have done or will do, I lean on the promise that Christ did what I could not do. He lived a perfect life and then sacrificed it for my sins so that I could spend eternity with Him in heaven. Thank you, Jesus!!
  • A Christian husband, Stacy, who is my best friend, confident, accountability partner, lover, and leader of our family. Stacy has chosen to accept his role as the spiritual leader of our home and our family is greatly blessed by this. Thank you, Stacy! I love you, respect you, and look forward to sharing whatever plans God has in store for the rest of our journey.
  • My sweet children:
    • Christian: I love you and I'm so proud of you and your ministry. I know it hasn't played out like you would have wanted, and change is difficult, but stay faithful to God's plan for your life and He will work it all together for good. You are a wonderful husband and an amazing father. Remember that leading your family is more important than leading your congregation and everything will work itself out.
    • Mark: I can't believe my baby boy is a husband and finishing his last year at seminary. I'm so proud of you and love you very much. Your best man gave you great advice at your reception. Listen to him! You are an amazing artist and thinker. I am in awe of you.
    • Hannah: My sweet Hunan Hurricane. Your highs are so high and your lows are low. You have the best smile ever and I love your love for life. Thank you for letting me be your mommy. I love you!
    • Sarah: You came to our family for a couple of weeks and get to stay forever. I am overwhelmed by the circumstances that brought you to our family. Even more miraculous is how it seems that you have always been here. It won't be long until it is official, but in my heart you are completely my daughter. I love you!
    • April: I can't hardly call you my daughter in law. That makes it seem like I'm legally bound to love you. The truth is I couldn't love you more. It is an absolute priviledge to be your mother in law. You are wonderful wife and mother. I love you!
    • Lauren: Welcome to the family! I can't wait to grow closer to you, but I love you like my own child already. Thank you for loving Mark! I love you!
    • Elijah: I miss you sweet boy! I wish we lived closer, but Mimi thinks of you and prays for you every day. You are a special little boy and so much fun to be around. I love you!
    • Baby Wood: I can't wait to meet you. You have terrific parents and Elijah will be a great big brother. See you in February! I love you and are praying for you as you grow in you mommy's womb.
  • Mom and Dad: You celebrated your 50th wedding anniversary this year and not many couples can say that. You brought me to faith and have encouraged me along my path. I love you!
  • My siblings: Darcy, Ray, Jimmy, Chris and Tracy ~ I love you all very much. What a blessing it is to have brothers and sisters to celebrate with and make memories with.
  • Friends: There is know way to list them all, but God created us for community. And each of you has blessed me with your friendship, caring, and prayers. I know I could count on you for anything and that brings joy and peace to my life. I love each of you!
I have the best job in the world ~ being Hannah and Sarah's full time mommy. I also get to do some work for a friend I went to kindergarten with. I don't miss wearing suits and stockings and carrying a briefcase. I hope that God continues to bless us so that I can stay home with the girls and be active in their school life and at church.

Not what I had plannned or expected my life to be at this point? Absolutely! Would I trade God's plans for what I had planned? Absolutely not!! I'm right where God wants me to be in this season and I'm so glad I have (so far) been obedient to His calling.

I am blessed!

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy First Half Century!!
That post was inspirational and heart warming. It is amazing how fast time flies and I totally agree how God must laugh at our plans.
May the Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26
Blessings to you and your family.
Sandy