Thursday, July 23, 2009

I can't believe Hannah is 4!!!


Seriously...how did that happen? It seems like it was just yesterday that we met a nearly helpless little baby in China and now she's a girl. All grown up and ready to start pre-K in a month. It's happening much to fast for me.

I'm a bit emotional today. This is the time of year, more than other times of the year, when I recognize dates that brings memories and feelings to the forefront. Things that Hannah will eventually think are important ...or not... that tug at my mother heartstrings.
  • When I was looking at the stars in the crystal clear night sky in Kerrville on Saturday I wondered if Hannah's birthmother was looking at the same summer sky. Why did she have to give her up? Does her heart ache? Does she have some sense of peace thinking that Hannah is in a good home in the US?
  • I don't know what time Hannah was born. I don't even really know what day she was born. The orphanage doctor estimated her age at 1 week old when she was found at the orphanage gate on July 30th, but there was no note so we don't know for sure. The time (or day) is not really that important, but I always tease the boys that I will call them at the time of their birth (both in the middle of the night) like Billy Crystal's mom in "City Slickers." So it's just another difference between Hannah and her brothers, birth children and their adopted sibling.
  • Will I know when it's the right time to talk to Hannah about these things? Will I be able to answer her questions? Will I have loved her enough that she can handle the answers? I hope so....I pray so.

Hannah is her own little person and will most definitely decide for herself what is and is not important to her, so I don't spend time worrying about such things. But today on her birthday and next week on the date she was found I spend some time reflecting. The one thing I know for sure is that I thank God every day for the call He placed in my heart for a daughter in China; for the faithfulness of a godly husband who also accepted God's call; and for the privilege I have to mother Hannah, my "spicy girl." Happy birthday, Hannah! I love you!




2 comments:

Rachel Winters said...

Awe, I am holding back the tears Carrie. Isn't the love of a mother just inconceivable? It's the special reflections like these that make the tough days get lost somewhere in the memory never to be remembered! Yeah for Hannah turning 4!

Anonymous said...

What, no "I can't believe Christian is 26" post?? No love

ACTUALLY - I just felt like making a joke - I know my mommy loves me! Can't wait to "warm up" in January and come see you.

Love you!