Wednesday, April 8, 2009

"Do you go there?"

I apparently have a knack for picking cashiers. Yesterday I stopped in Wal-mart to pick up ribbon boxes and Zone bars. On the end of an aisle near the Zone bars were lip balm with the O'Connor Panthers logo on them. I thought they might make a cute little "I thought of you" gift for Christian and Mark, who both graduated from that high school, and since we will see them in St. Louis in a couple weeks I picked a few up.

The cashier, a young man of 20 or so, rings up the lip balms and says to me...."so...do you go there?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I often get comments about how I don't look old enough to have sons as old as they are, etc. I got carded when buying beer or wine at the grocery store until I was 35 years old (like I bought these $200 worth of groceries to hide the six pack). One time, again when I was 35 or so, I was stopped going into a club with Stacy and asked for my ID. But high school? Do I really look young enough for high school? When I told him by sons graduated from O'Connor he didn't think that the school was old enough to have graduates yet. I told him that my oldest graduated in 2001 which led him to say, "Oh...that was like 10 years ago." Good thing I gave him the exact change.

No comments: